There is a lot of talk about “cloud computing” these days. Multiple top companies provide cloud based offerings: IBM, Google, Microsoft, Amazon – even Apple (iTunes Music and iPhone Apps stores are cloud computing examples). But what is the significance to the everyday worker? One key significance is that virtually anyone can AFFORD to start a business if they are so inclined and have a marketable skill or product.
Essentially “cloud computing” allows any motivated and creative person to by-pass much of the typical startup cost and time burden associated with becoming operational. A quality PC with broadband connection to the Internet now provides at least 3 critical components for startup business success:
- Access to a huge amounts of low-cost computer processing and file storage
- Use of highly sophisticated server software, and the server PC’s that run it
- Connection to virtually every demographic and potential customer base possible
Many success stories exist, yet I thought this one (Lauren Luke in Tyneside, U.K) was of particular interest. It demonstrates that even simple straight forward use of Google’s no cost “YouTube”service was able to provide a viable income for a mom and her son who reside in a coastal country area of northern England.
While few may think of YouTube as “cloud computing”, consider these 4 critical things it does without you having to buy a single piece of computer hardware or software beyond what you likely already have:
- Free storage for a near unlimited amount of video films (such films consume large amounts of storage space)
- Free server software every element of video file management. The uploading, cataloging, indexing as well as statistics of all usage
- Free ultra-high bandwidth between the video servers and internet so any size audience can be viewing your material and have a positive experience
- Plus ability to have access to virtually every demographic and market segment in the world that might have interest in what you have produced
Cloud computing also brings extremely cost effective operations support to existing and established companies – whether it be a 2 person or 200 person organization. www.GAFYD.net (Google Apps For Your Domain) provides all the computing power necessary to run a company’s email, shared calendaring and document collaboration capability for a very minor cost. Read More here.