Those that use Google Maps as frequently as I do will like this new feature equally as much. Not having to retype my home & work address (as of May 2012) all the time is GREAT because I use Google Maps a lot! Even though I’ve lived at my current address over 15 years and in the basic area of town for 30 years I use Google Maps.
I’m NOT directionally challenged (In Denver it’s easy to find West – look for The Rocky Mtns) and I have a decent memory for locations and driving directions. So why do I like and use Google Maps so much? The list could be very long but here are a quick 5 favorites:
- Growth & Change – the Denver Metropolitan roads and highways have expanded radically and continue to change, particularly in the last decade – I can’t keep track of all the changes.
- It helps Break habits – we all have our favorite routes for getting somewhere, but I’ve learned Google offers good alternative routes I may never of thought of.
- Great Mobile Phone version – Google Maps is so good on my Android phone I often use it for nighttime driving. Particularly in areas I don’t go frequently. I love being in motion and being able to enter HOME and immediately get a distance and time estimate as for the return trip back, including turn by turn directions (if desired) from the precise point my car happens to be at that time.
- Multiple stops planning – anyone that is gas conscious like me, tends to set up multiple errands in a single trip. Google Maps makes finding and selecting the best sequence and route a breeze to figure out.
- AND Biking directions – I’m exploring a lot more of Denver by bicycle. Google Maps lets me immediately find and connect many safe bicycle path / bicycle friendly routes together.
To set your home and work locations, you’ll need to sign in with your Google Account. Once logged in, click the My Places tab in Google Maps and save your home and work locations. From the My Places panel, you can also edit or delete your saved locations by clicking the drop-down to the right of the home or work icons.
Once the locations are saved under your account, just type ‘work’ or ‘home’ into the ‘to’ or ‘from’ boxes and click to get directions etc. You’ll also see these locations presented on your map with special little house or briefcase icons.
Handy Out of Town Travel Idea — Don’t forget, it’s fast and easy to update the values so tell a little “white lie”. When visiting distant relatives or a friend’s home in a city unknown to you, update your account to have that person’s HOME and/or WORK address. Leave it that way for the day, weekend or whatever time you will be staying there. You will save a 100 annoying phone calls to your family or friends asking how to get back to their house – whether by car, bus, bicycle or even walking!